On July 14, 1963, the community gathered to dedicate Burgess Memorial Hospital, situated on a 10-acre site at the west edge of Onawa.
Work toward this day began in 1959 when it became apparent that the old Onawa Hospital could no longer meet increasingly stringent state fire and health regulations. A board to oversee a new hospital organized Feb. 13, 1959, with Dr. William P. Garred serving as chair. The board soon applied for a federal Hill-Burton grant and began organizing a campaign to raise $628,000 for a new 37-bed hospital.
In April 1961, local attorney Albert W. Burgess stepped forward with a $100,000 gift to the project. On April 16, 1962, Mr. Burgess helped turn the first shovels of dirt at the groundbreaking ceremony.
Since then, the hospital has responded to the changing healthcare environment and local needs with expansions in services and facilities. In 1997 the name changed to Burgess Health Center.
Burgess Senior Leaders
Fran Tramp, president
Nancy Carlson, vice president of finance
Erin Brekke, director of human resources
Teresa Butler, vice president of clinical services
Jean Pekarek, director of patient experiences
Patty Sandmann, vice president of nursing
Grady Warner, director of information technology
Burgess Health Center Board Members
Jim Westergaard Mapleton, chairman
Terry Framke Onawa, vice chairman
Steve Pratt Whiting, secretary and treasurer
Mary Black Onawa
Judy Connealy Decatur, Neb.
Sheila Duarte, DDS Onawa
Paul Dudley, MD Onawa
John Garred, MD Whiting
Al Laboranti Whiting
Brent McCall Onawa
Mari Miller Onawa
Keith Schrunk, OD Anthon
Charles Sederstrom Omaha, Neb.
Ex Officio Member: Fran Tramp, Burgess CEO